ONF to Address Impact and Value of Software-Defined Networking, OpenFlow®, and Network Function Virtualization
Frankfurt, Germany – October 9, 2013
WHO: Open Networking Foundation (ONF) will present three keynote speeches at next week’s Layer123 SDN and OpenFlow® World Congress. Executive Director Dan Pitt will present a co-hosted keynote session titled, “SDN and Network Virtualization: A New Platform for Business Innovators.” Axel Clauberg, member of the ONF Board of Directors, will host the operator keynote titled, “Business Drivers and Next Steps for SDN and NFV in DT’s TeraStream.” Yukio Ito, another board member, will present an additional keynote titled, “Next Steps in the SDN/OpenFlow® Network Innovation.” Various member company representatives will participate in panel sessions throughout the event, and ONF will also offer a day-long Software-Defined Networking (SDN) and OpenFlow® workshop featuring broad member company participation.
WHAT: During his co-hosted keynote, Pitt will address why SDN is such a fundamental element for network operators and users, emphasizing the OpenFlow® protocol as an essential cornerstone enabling customer value. He will also demonstrate the reality and value of SDN through tangible investments in commercial products and services, and will conclude by outlining next steps for ONF to successfully lead the SDN revolution.
The ONF SDN and OpenFlow® workshop will discuss applications, opportunities, and development, highlighting the business case for SDN. This workshop will offer insights on trends, motivations, and initial experiences from an outstanding set of end users and visionaries shaping the future of networking. Marc Cohn, chair of the ONF Market Education Committee Working Group, will present the workshop keynote, “Software-Defined Networking and OpenFlow® – Vision and Progress,” providing information on ONF, OpenFlow-based SDN, relevant industry terminology, and an overview of ONF relationships with other standards bodies.
- Cohn will also moderate the workshop panel “Why the SDN Control Layer is so Important,” which includes Marc Woolward, ONF Technical Advisory Group member.
- Lyndon Ong, chair of the ONF Optical Transport Working Group, will deliver a presentation on Multi-Layer Transport during the workshop.
Through several panels and sessions at Layer123 SDN and OpenFlow® World Congress, numerous topics will be discussed by SDN, Network Function Virtualization (NFV), and OpenFlow® industry leaders, including the potential of SDN and the advancement of the carrier vision of NFV.
- Following his keynote, Clauberg will participate in the SDN executive panel, “Changing the Landscape of Networking.”
- During the Infrastructure and Transport SDN Forum, Ong will give a presentation titled, “ONF Optical Transport Working Group Mission and Directions.” Ong will also participate on the panel debate titled, “When SDN Meets Physics!”
- Pitt will offer closing remarks on opening day of the Congress and will participate in the event’s Lunchtime Debating Tables.
- Pitt will also offer a co-host highlight at the NFV Forum discussing “Why ONF is so Committed to NFV,” while Woolward will present a keynote on “The New Enterprise Network,” during the Enterprise SDN Forum.
ONF Working Group updates will be presented by ONF representatives at the Congress.
WHEN: ONF’s SDN and OpenFlow® workshop will take place on October 15 at 9 a.m. – 3:15 p.m. CEST. Layer123 SDN and OpenFlow® World Congress will take place October 16 – 18 from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. CEST daily.
- Pitt’s co-hosted keynote will take place October 16 at 9:15 – 9:30 a.m. CEST.
- Clauberg’s keynote will take place at 9:30 – 9:55 a.m. CEST.
- Ito’s keynote will take place at 11:50 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. CEST.
- Clauberg’s panel will take place at 12:15 – 12:45 p.m. CEST.
- Ong’s Working Group update will take place at 1:50 – 2:05 p.m. CEST.
- Ong’s panel will take place at 5:35 – 6 p.m. CEST.
- Pitt’s closing remarks will take place at 6 p.m. CEST.
- The NFV Forum co-host highlight with Pitt will take place October 17 at 2:20 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. CEST.
- Woolward’s keynote at the Enterprise SDN Forum will take place at 2:20 – 2:35 p.m. CEST.
An update on ONF Working Groups will be presented October 18 at 4:50 – 5:10 p.m. CEST.
Lunchtime Debating Tables will take place on October 16 – 18 at 12:45 p.m. CEST.
The full event agenda can be accessed here.
WHERE: The workshop and presentations will be held at the Kongresscenter, Bad Homburg during Layer123 SDN and OpenFlow® World Congress.
Media or analysts interested in one-on-one meetings at Layer123 SDN and OpenFlow® World Congress with ONF Executive Director Dan Pitt should contact Andi Bean at AndiBean@mcgrathpower.com.
Launched in 2011 by Deutsche Telekom, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Verizon, and Yahoo!, the Open Networking Foundation (ONF) is a growing nonprofit organization with more than 100 members whose mission is to accelerate the adoption of open SDN. ONF promotes open SDN and OpenFlow® technologies and standards while fostering a vibrant market of products, services, applications, customers, and users. For further details visit the ONF website at: http://www.opennetworking.org.