ONF to Participate in Multiple Open SDN-Focused Sessions at ONS
SANTA CLARA, Calif., June 4, 2015 – Representatives from the Open Networking Foundation (ONF), a non-profit organization dedicated to accelerating the adoption of open Software-Defined Networking (SDN), will speak on open SDN in six panel sessions during Open Networking Summit (ONS) 2015. ONF representatives participating in the ONS sessions include ONF Principal System Architect Saurav Das, Market Area Director Marc Cohn, Executive Director ONF Board of Directors Member Yukio Ito, ONF Board of Directors Member Omar Baldonado, ONF Director of Product and Community Management Bithika Khargharia, ONF Board of Directors Member and Research Associate Jennifer Rexford.
The following is a listing of the sessions ONF will participate in at ONS2015:
- Saurav Das will kick-off the summit by leading the “SDN Essentials Tutorial” introducing the disruptive transformation underway in networking. During the tutorial, Das will use hands-on illustrations to teach the fundamentals of SDN including its motivation, architecture, abstractions, basic building blocks, use-cases and applications, and most importantly how SDN represents a new paradigm of networking. The tutorial will take place on Sunday, June 14 from 9 a.m. – 4:45 p.m. PDT.
- Marc Cohn will lead the tutorial titled “SDN for Market Ops – Use Cases and Deployments” in which real-world examples will be shared to provide insight on the state of carrier SDN. Operators will share their initial experiences in evaluating early technologies and products to address their target use cases. The tutorial will take place on Monday, June 15 from 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. PDT.
- Dan Pitt will briefly join ONS Chair Guru Parulkar in the conference welcome at the start of the Summit on Tuesday, June 16 at 8:30 a.m., prior to the opening keynote panel, to highlight some important ONF news.
- ONF Board of Directors Member and Senior VP of Technology Development at NTT Communications Yukio Ito will participate in the “Opening Keynote Panel: Service Provider Adoption of SDN/NFV: From Talk to Action.” The panel will take place on Tuesday, June 16 from 8:30 – 10 a.m. PDT and will include the following panelists:
- Andre Fuetsch, senior vice president, Architecture and Design, AT&T
- Vish Nandlall, chief technology officer, Telstra Corporation
- Guru Parulkar, Chair of ONS (panel chair)
- Following the opening keynote panel, ONF Board of Directors Member and Software Manager at Facebook Omar Baldonado will join the plenary session “Experiences with SDN and NFV Deployments.” This session will take place on Tuesday, June 16 from 10:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. PDT and will discuss the panel’s experiences with deploying SDN and NFV solutions. Omar will be joined on the panel by:
- Hassan Ahmed, chairman and CEO, Affirmed Networks
- Dr. David A. Maltz, Azure Physical Network, Microsoft
- Kitty Pang, network architect, Alibaba Infrastructure Service
- The panel titled “SDN in Enterprise Campus – Early Adoption” will take place on Tuesday, June 16 from 2 – 3:30 p.m. PDT. The panelists will address SDN integration within enterprise campuses by sharing real-world examples and experiences of deploying and using SDN. Bithika Khargharia will be joined on this panel by:
- Robert Bauer, IT director, Asurion
- Geng Lin, CTO of Corporate Networks, Google
- Rohit Mehra, vice president of Network Infrastructure, IDC (panel chair)
- Ajay Malik, senior vice president of Worldwide Engineering and Product, Meru Networks
- The “Open SDN Track: Open Source I” will discuss how open development has enabled the SDN ecosystem to deliver large-scale, complex software that far exceeds that from single vendors or closed sources. Taking place on Tuesday, June 16 from 4 – 5 p.m. PDT, Saurav Das will be joined by:
- Rob Sherwood, CTO, Big Switch Networks
- Subi Krishnamurthy, CTO, Dell Inc.
- Adam Simpkins, software engineer, Facebook
- Neela Jacques, executive director, OpenDaylight (ODL) Project (panel chair)
- The “SDN & NFV Use Cases” panel will explore real-world SDN and NFV deployments within operator networks. Dan Pitt will chair the panel of the following participants on Tuesday, June 16 from 4 – 5 p.m. PDT:
- Nicholas Ilyadis, VP and CTO of the Infrastructure and Networking Group, Broadcom
- Abel Tong, director of Solutions Marketing, Cyan
- Alan Ganson, head of Product Marketing, Network Analytics and Control, Ericsson
- Shinya Nakamura, chief strategic product planner, NEC
- Mike Kay, vice president of Business Development, Procera Networks
- On Wednesday, June 17 from 11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. PDT the plenary session “SDN for Service Providers – Open Source Approaches” will highlight open source SDN solutions designed for service provider implementation. Joining Jennifer Rexford on the panel are the following participants:
- Tom Anschutz, distinguished member of Technical Staff, AT&T
- Ayush Sharma, senior vice president, CTO, and head of IP and Cloud Technologies Group, Huawei
- Kelly Herrell, vice president and general manager of the Software Business Unit, Brocade
- The panel titled “SDN for Service Provider Networks: Central Office of the Future” will discuss the use of SDN in service provider networks and the future of SDN in the central office. Taking place on Wednesday, June 17 from 2:30 – 4 p.m. PDT, Saurav Das will be joined by:
- Mounire El Houmaidi, lead member of Technical Staff, AT&T
- Brad Casemore, research director, IDC (panel chair)
- Larry Peterson, chief architect, Open Networking Lab (ON.Lab)
- Kang-Won Lee, senior vice president of Research and Development, SK Telecom
- The closing panel will occur on Thursday, June 18 from 4 – 5 p.m. PDT and will offer a review of the week by providing closing points on open source development, bringing together a diverse community of companies and individuals to discuss open source project use and contributions. Dan Pitt will speak on the panel, joined by:
- Jim Zemlin, executive director, Linux Foundation
- John Vrionis, general partner, Lightspeed Venture Partners
ONS2015 will take place at the Santa Clara Convention Center and Hyatt Regency from June 14 – 18. To access the full event agenda, please visit http://opennetsummit.org/conference/agenda/. Media or analysts interested in one-on-one meetings with ONF at ONS2015 should contact Andi Bean at email@example.com.
Launched in 2011 by Deutsche Telekom, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Verizon, and Yahoo!, the Open Networking Foundation (ONF) is a growing nonprofit organization with more than 140 members whose mission is to accelerate the adoption of open SDN. ONF promotes open SDN and OpenFlow® technologies and standards while fostering a vibrant market of products, services, applications, customers, and users. For further details visit the ONF website at: http://www.opennetworking.org.