The survey results are in, and Open Networking and SDN technologies have hit key thresholds of confidence and acceptance, following both evaluation and deployments by a large collection of service providers. 98% of those surveyed are bullish about open source networking.
The compelling data, published at the ONS Europe Summit #ONS2018 in Amsterdam, late September by the Linux Foundation, stems from research performed by Heavy Reading.
The survey revealed some telling and highly positive results:
- As networks migrate to 5G, edge cloud becomes more important, as many services will require low latency and high bandwidth
- CSPs are largely planning to deploy these solutions across the different network domains. — 58% said they expect to deploy open networking solutions in the access layer, 53% in the edge layer
- Data will be collected and analyzed at the edge of the network, as well as at centralized big data platforms.
- Real-time data and the use of AI/ML will be critical for effective service assurance, network planning and optimization of hybrid network.
- They are looking for open source NFV and SDN solutions to be the cornerstone for service delivery to residential, enterprise and mobile subscribers.
As edge cloud is gaining increasing attention, service providers indicate that some part of the big data systems will be at the edge.
Here is a report link to view it in its entirety